Why did you CC me
The main reason why I CC anyone in my emails is because I need to get their insights (if any), or I intend to send it as an F.Y.I, or it’s just a keep-you-posted email. The phrase copy me on that, keep me in the loop, include me on that…all of it is for getting status. It isn’t really an action mechanism, it is more of a need-to-know-if-you-finished-the-job-or-not email. Now, my point is that you should avoid CC-ing people as much as you can, why?
- The mail thread can have 20 replies, the thread continues and you can make a sweater out of it. This thread can pollute the CC-ed guy’s inbox with some discussion he is not really into.
- If you are CC-ed, almost always you are a spectator, not a doer/responder…#justsaying.
- If you are CC-ed, you are the authority to channel the discussion. It’s more like you are a counselor. By the way, if the discussion goes haywire, you are responsible for it.
I am not FOR or AGAINST CC-ing, I am saying - don’t just blindly use it because you have it. Also, when it comes to group mailers, always CC, because it’s clear that it’s an open question and anybody can chip in. Last but not the least, even if you talk to people, but the kind of work you are doing needs to be recorded, make sure you email people. Let them be sitting right next to you, just write a simple mail, it’s on record, that’s why!
The thumb rule is, if it’s verbal – work isn’t happening, if it’s on email – something is going on or at least, the work is in progress.
The thumb rule is, if it’s verbal – work isn’t happening, if it’s on email – something is going on or at least, the work is in progress.
Comments
Post a Comment