Wait for 7.8 days before you buy that sexy product
I am a nightmare for the electronics shop owners. I go to the shop, test everything, give them a smile, get a “what an asshole” look from the shop owner, and then come back home (surprisingly, I don’t waste much time on this). I see and use the same line of products several times before I decide to buy it.
Why? Because I don’t have all the money in the world, I think long-term, and I am what I am (a really hard customer to close).
I’ve been trying to buy a smart phone for a long time now, I’ve tried and tested almost all really cool high-end phones in the market, I’ve also made up my mind as to which device (of all the devices) I like and must buy. This exercise went on for almost 2 months. So what? Wait! Wait for the punch line, it’s in the next paragraph.
I noticed two really cool buying behaviors that a lot of us should be aware of (as it is very human and not peculiar to me):
I’ve been trying to buy a smart phone for a long time now, I’ve tried and tested almost all really cool high-end phones in the market, I’ve also made up my mind as to which device (of all the devices) I like and must buy. This exercise went on for almost 2 months. So what? Wait! Wait for the punch line, it’s in the next paragraph.
I noticed two really cool buying behaviors that a lot of us should be aware of (as it is very human and not peculiar to me):
- We fall in love with a phone and break-up with that
phone to get on with another phone. We do this one-night-stand thingy for
around 10 days. But, after that, there will be a time when we stop falling in love with other phones. That’s it, now we know which
one to marry (buy).
Mind it! If you do this with humans, you will die. Try this tactic only on products (non-living things). - After 10 days, you might consider not buying such a product at all, coz we find that we can clearly do without it. Waiting for a minimum of 10 days before buying the product is a very useful exercise because what seems “really cool” doesn’t seem “that cool” after 10 days. So, we know what we are really getting for what we are paying.
Where did this 7.8 days statistic come from? From nowhere,
that is just a random number that I used to get you interested. You see, “wait
for 10 days” isn’t as interesting as “wait for 7.8 days”. Don't feel cheated! You know of a cool buying behavior and with that you are a hard customer to close.