The day off concept and the why!
I wonder if this "weekend" concept is fairly a new invention, or do humans actually enjoy doing something for 5 days a week and then do something completely different the other 2 days. By the way, the number of days is irrelevant, it's just about how we demarcated days as off or on.
In my opinion, I wouldn't mind if I did not have 2 days off per week. I only need vacations not days off of work on a set interval. Note, the actual process of vacating a place for a few days is what I mean by vacation.
Although, psychologically, I too am accustomed to weekends and I seem to want it sometimes because of the several years of conditioning and sometimes coz I really need to relax. Anyway.
I think and hope that religion has its roots in the concept of weekends and that humans did not invent weekends. Dear atheists, if religion is itself a human invention, then I rest my case. Assuming it isn't. I tend to think that the first managers/business owners who set up workplaces and employed most of us had to invent the concept of weekends coz:
**Our jobs weren't interesting enough and we were tired of our jobs.
**Our jobs were so damn demotivating that days off of work was the only way for our managers to retain us and keep us at their workplace.
Or may be, Humans don't like to work and if we all had unlimited supply of everything, we would rather sit and die than work.
Very preposterous and negative thoughts there. But, frankly, humanity is just a product of such small and unconvincing pivots.
One more thing! When I think about us as social animals...Actually, just smartER animals...I choose to believe that earlier we were wired only and only to work for our food, and then the ego thingy screwed everything for all of us, and now we have to have goals and vision, and be competitive, prove our worth, make a mark, and what not. Good or bad! Dilemma!
Enjoy your weekend! :-)
Girish Mahadevan.
youtextme@gmail.com
I am mobile. Please excuse if no typos. :)
Comments
Post a Comment